Friday, February 26, 2010

Passions

Hi friends.....

Its Friday night 2.00 am at Blacksburg, USA. This was a really hectic week, but a very productive one at that. I got some new insights into my research (Vortex Dynamics) and also learnt a few more new computational techniques..... :) Wonderful !!!! At last, my life now is roughly the same as the one I used to dream of having when I was a 12 year-old (I am very lucky.... not many Indians get the chance to live their dreams even remotely). As an icing on cake, I also got to hear a talk from a senior NASA scientist (working at the Langley Space Research Centre)..... :) ......I just pray that the passion that I still have does not diminish with time and that 12 year-old in me never gets killed....... Believe me, life is very simple and its really refreshing to enjoy its simplicity.

Coming back to the other aspects of life..... its almost 7 months that I have come to US. But, still I don't feel like I am somewhere entirely different (may be my daily phone calls and video chats with my parents and brother are doing the trick). So, at times, when I try to feel that "how does it feel to be in America?", it feels odd. To me America is still the country from where Mamon-mashi (my grandma's neighbour) brought me blue baseball cap when I was 5. Everytime I go to a shop and see caps, I try to find that blue one.... but alas styles have changed. America to me is the country where the dad "shrunk his kids"..... And, for all these, real America looks very mundane to me :)...... Consequently, another thing that comes to my mind is this - it is therefore the small child who gets the real mystical flavour of a place even if he is thousands of miles away from there (as I did when I was 5)...... So, all my little friends at home, I will surely bring you loads of gifts whenever i go home :)

Another thing that comes to my mind at this instant is the family wedding (scheduled next week) that I am missing. The groom is actually my uncle (mama in Bengali.... Ma-er khurtuto bhai), but being 3 yrs older that me, we were really good friends right from the very early days.... We used to eat together at any family ceremony and he is like an elder brother to me..... I wish him all the best for his new life..... :)

Lets end now..... Looking forward to another productive and busy week ahead :). Hope you all have the same because life is work :)

Cheers all......
Saikat

No comments:

Post a Comment